Saturday, October 31, 2009

Can I get back some of the tax refund money that was offset for student loans?

My husband and I filed married jointly. The IRS approved a refund but it was offset because of a student loan in state default. He was going to school and then in 2005 I miscarried and was in bad shape so he had to quit school and take care of me and our other child. We just found out the treasury department took all of our tax refund because of his defaulted loan. I didn't work last year because I was put on bed rest with this last preg. At least 2 months prior to filing taxes he had already made arrangements to make payments the collection agency for the student loan and they new that he would start making payments after getting our refund because could have paid off some other smaller bills and gotten caught up on rent, which would have freed up money to make monthly payment to them. They said nothing about a default.



Can I get any of the money back, I am not in default or anything? At least the child tax credit? We desperately needed that money. Is there any hope?



Can I get back some of the tax refund money that was offset for student loans?

Actually, YES, there is hope. It is under %26quot;Injured Spouse%26quot; clause. If you are under extreme financial hardship, you may be able to get SOME of your refund back. It is a difficult process (be prepared to send copies). Good luck to you.



Try this website:



http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DCS/disp...



* 9 months ago

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive